Volume IV: What works, what matters, what lasts
Disciplines & Programs
The United States Military Academy at West Point - Preparing 21st Century Leaders: A Departmental Responsibility
The experience of the mathematics department at the United States Military Academy illustrates how to integrate a comprehensive faculty development program into departmental efforts to reform the curriculum and serve larger institutional goals for student learning.
Making connections: To, from, and within the mathematical community
- David Bressoud, Professor & Chair of Mathematics & Computer Science - Macalester College
- Lynn Arthur Steen, Professor of Mathematics - St. Olaf College
Authors describe the wide range of activities and publications within the MAA (Mathematical Association of America) that emphasize three broader categories of connections important to their community:
- connections to and from other disciplines
- connections within the mathematical sciences
- connections to the needs of students served by mathematics departments, majors and non-majors.
Results from the 2003-04 MAA PKAL Biomath Survey
- Debbie Hydorn, Associate Professor & Chair of Mathematics - Mary Washington College
PKAL and MAA have collaborated over the past several months to identify programs integrating the life sciences and the mathematical sciences. This is an ongoing project, and further examples of interesting programs are sought.