Volume IV: What works, what matters, what lasts
Systems and Sustainability Questions
Basic Design Approach
- What is the appropriate balance between designing generic versus specialized and discipline specific labs?
- What are the tradeoffs between highly flexible spaces and maintenance challenges?
- How do we maximize aesthetic appeal and programmatic considerations?
- From a systems perspective, what are the tradeoffs for the way that offices, classrooms, teaching labs, and research labs are organized?
- What is the most valuable way to do value engineering?
- What are realistic and appropriate LEED certification goals for a science building?
- What will green buildings look like in 10 years?
- Will currently innovative green concepts soon become standard?
- What is the future of green chemistry?
- What additional costs can be expected with green buildings?
Impact of Computers and other Technology on Lab Design
- What will connectivity look like in 10 years?
- Should labs be designed without wired connectivity?
- What will be the balance between wet labs and computer based labs in 10 years?
- How does computer use in the teaching lab impact plumbing, air handling, and benching design for labs?
Standards, Codes, and Control Systems
- How regionalized should HVAC, lighting, and temperature controls be throughout the building?
- What will the indoor air quality standards look like in 10 years?