Questions for breakfast discussion: Departments and programs the work
Building Vital Undergraduate STEM Departments and Programs
The 2003 PKAL Assemblies
What Works - What Matters - What Lasts: The Roles and Responsibilities of Leaders in Undergraduate STEM
Agnes Scott College
December 5 - 7, 2003
Mentoring junior faculty
- What approaches are the most effective in mentoring junior faculty, particularly if you were recently one?
- What are the challenges to mentoring junior faculty?
- Based upon your own experience as a junior faculty member, what could have been done better/differently. What was done that helped?
- What are the challenges of developing interdisciplinary programs?
- In developing and implementing interdisciplinary programs, what works best?
- How should responsibility be divided in interdisciplinary programs? (i.e. When the program is not in a single department, how do faculty work together to achieve goals that are beyond their department of hiring?
Integrating Teaching and Research
- How do you integrate teaching and research? What challenges and opportunities do you face?
- Is your combination of teaching and research expected or something you do on your own?
- What are the incentives for bringing your research into thte classroom?
Departments That Work
- Does your department work? Why or why not?
- What characteristics of your department lead to your answer to the question above.
- What can you do to make your department work?
Faculty Teaching Incentives
- What incentives are in place at your institution presently to stimulate your use of new teaching approaches?
- What kinds of incentives would stimulate you to use new teaching approaches?
- What changes do you think are needed for the faculty reward and incentive system?
Building Cross Disciplinary Connections
- How can we build cross disciplinary connections into an existing curriculum?
- What will be the challenges of developing these connections?
- If you have already worked on building such connections, what have you experienced that works?