Director of the UMW Center for Teaching and Learning - University of Mary Washington
Posted on 12/17/08
The University of Mary Washington invites applicants for a position as Director for a new Center for Teaching and Learning. This will be a faculty appointment with administrative responsibilities, reporting to the University's Provost. As the primary administrator for the center, the director will oversee its programs, activities, communications, budget, and staff. The successful candidate will have teaching responsibilities in an academic department and will serve as a liaison to academic departments, faculty and staff, and administrative departments and centers at multiple campuses within the university which serve the institution’s teaching and learning missions.
The director will work closely with the Faculty to develop the short term and long term vision of the center and will lead the planning and implementation of the center's programs and activities, including:
- Providing leadership to foster excellence in teaching and student learning, both in terms of research and practice
- Helping faculty explore and experiment with new models and tools in teaching and learning scholarship and technologies
- Managing the center’s budget, and programs
- Providing information and resources on best practices, innovative curricula, and pedagogical issues, including those related to diversity
- Establishing specific resources on teaching and learning for new faculty
- Facilitating mentoring programs for faculty
- Administering teaching center internal grants programs for faculty and seeking external grants to support new initiatives
- Developing and maintaining a digital commons of teaching and learning initiatives and resources through a dynamic web-based presence for the Center
- Offering consultation on course design, teaching strategies, and meaningful assessment
- Collaborating with other areas of the university, including the Writing Centers, Speaking Center, Division of Teaching and Learning Technologies, University Libraries, Multi-Cultural Center, and distance and blended learning programs
The Faculty Advisory Committee for the Teaching Center will serve as a resource for the director in planning and implementing the above programs.
- PhD or equivalent terminal degree, in hand, in a discipline in a degree program offered by UMW
- Demonstrable record of excellence in teaching
- Knowledge of current research in pedagogy and assessment
- Knowledge of emerging academic technologies and information resources
- Experience with programs meeting the needs of students including those of traditional college-age as well as returning adult and life-time learners
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience managing a department or administrative unit with a budget
- Experience procuring external grants and funding
- Experience with distance learning, blended learning, or other web-based teaching and learning environments Experience with course/program development
- Commitment to diversity and curricular multi-culturalism Experience working with a center for teaching at a university or college
This is a 9 month, tenure-track faculty position with the expectation of summer work with a stipend. Commonwealth of Virginia benefits package.
The University of Mary Washington is a co-educational, public, comprehensive university that offers undergraduate and graduate and professional degree-programs at multiple campuses, including a residential campus in Fredericksburg, VA., 50 miles south of Washington, D.C. and a graduate and professional studies campus in nearby Stafford, VA. The university, with a total enrollment of approximately 5,000 students, is known for its commitment to academic excellence, a strong undergraduate liberal arts program, and its dedication to life-long learning and professional development.
Application Process: Applications accepted until 5:00 p.m., January 30, 2009. All application materials (cover-letter that specifically addresses the responsibilities and requirements above, CV, evidence of excellence in teaching, writing sample, three letters of recommendation) must be submitted on-line at: http://www.umw.edu/hr. Questions may be addressed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Professor Ernest Ackermann, Department of Computer Science, University of Mary Washington, 1301 College Avenue, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401-5358 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, the University of Mary Washington actively encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply.