2006 Facilities Workshop: Meredith College

David Clark Lab



















David Clark Laboratory Expansion and Renovation
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, North Carolina

Long used as the “poster boy” to demonstrate outdated research and teaching laboratory facilities in requests for additional public funding, the expanded and renovated David Clark Laboratories provide a single location for North Carolina State University’s Department of Zoology. Originally built in 1939 and expanded for the first time in 1946, the building’s role has shifted over the years as life sciences curricula have changed and evolved.

Following an extensive analysis of the existing building and several cost models to accommodate the new program, it was determined the most cost-effective solution would be to design new teaching and research lab facilities in the 44,000 gsf addition which is bisected on the ground floor by a pedestrian walkway that links a major parking garage to the heart of the campus.

The 41,000 gsf renovation includes faculty and departmental offices as well as classroom and storage space and is connected to the new addition by a two story skylighted atrium that serves as the central community space.

Completion Date:
2006

Team:
Richard Green, FAIA
Principal in Charge of Design and Consulting Principal

Mark Rhoades, AIA
Project Designer

Prime Architect:
The Stubbins Associates, Inc.

Associate Architect:
Pearce Brinkley Cease & Lee

Lab Programmer/Planner:
Research Facilities Design

Richard Green, FAIA
Director, Sciences Group
CBT/Childs Bertman Tseckares, Inc.
November 16, 2005