2008 Facilities Roundtable
As of January 16, 2008
The break-out sessions will approach the examination of spaces built and being planned from several perspectives.
Representatives of planning teams will outline questions that drove their planning process, the means by which they engaged their broader community in addressing those questions— perspectives and expertise of who was at the table, the answers arrived at and discarded, and the means by which they are assessing/intending to assess the impact of the space on faculty, students, program.
- Session facilitators will describe their experience— what happened and why.
- Session participants will work together in shaping a take-home agenda for action that incorporates and adapts lessons learned from the experiences of colleagues.
- Session facilitators and participants will identify two or three critical questions for the next decade to bring to the general next decade discussion on Sunday.
Break-out session topics:
- Planning, realizing, and assessing interdisciplinary learning spaces
- Connecting planning of undergraduate STEM spaces to needs of the 21st century workplace (research arenas and general S&T fields)
- Developing a comprehensive sustainability strategy
- Designing labs that accommodate “green chemistry” and other environmentally-aware programs
- Exploring impact of present and “future” LEED criteria on planning and projects
- Building adaptable prototype spaces that encourage innovation and creativity of faculty and students
- Anticipating how a single new facility can transform an entire campus as it provides an immediate sense of place
- Examining data to gather before planning and after moving in to determine impact of new spaces.
Sessions to be facilitated by:
- Richard April, Geology Department Chair— Colgate University
- James Baird, Project Designer— Holabird & Root
- Rich Corona— SHW Group
- Greg Grunloh, Project Architect— Holabird & Root
- William Gustafson, President— Ballinger Architects and Engineers
- Alan Hohlfelder, Principal— MacLachlan Cornelius & Filoni
- Lelia Kamal, Principal— Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture & Engineering, P.C.
- Tom Kazee, Provost— Furman University
- Thomas Kearns, Principal— SBRA
- Charles Kirby, Principal— Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture & Engineering, P.C.
- Toni Loiacano— SHW Group
- Jim McConachie, Project Manager— Oscar J. Boldt Construction Company
- Erika Morgan— Perkins + Will
- Scott Morton, Conceptual Estimator— Oscar J. Boldt Construction Company
- Michael Reagan, Principal— Burt Hill
- Pete Sandberg, Director of Facilities— St. Olaf College
- Robert Schaeffner, Principal— Payette Associates
- Kevin Triplett, Senior Associate— SBRA
- David Van Wylen, Associate Dean for Natural Sciences & Mathematics & Professor of Biology— St. Olaf College
- Ernest Wagner, Project Manager & Lab Designer— Holabird & Root
- Douglas Weldon, Stone Professor of Psychology— Hamilton College
- Thom Wilch, Associate Professor & Chair of Geology, Project Shepherd— Albion College
- Tim Winstead, Principal— The Freelon Group
- Li-An Yeh, Director, BRITE (Biomanufacturing Research Institute Technology Enterprise) and Professor of Biology— North Carolina Central University
- Bill Zaske— SHW Group