2009 PKAL Facilities Workshop
Workshop Planning Pages
EVENT NOTEBOOK & LOGISTICS
- Workshop Notebook
- Facilitator Logistics: Schedule, Hotel, Travel & Reimbursement
Updated 10/14/09 - New info includes hotel confirmation numbers
- Posters displays (architects): Please bring photos and text that can be mounted on one 30 x 40 foam board (provided by PKAL); foam board will be at the registration desk. The themes addressed in your photos and text should illustrate projects from your firm that address one or another of the workshop themes (see 9/29 memo). If bringing your own pre-mounted board, please alert PKAL.
- Audiovisual: LCD projectors will be provided in each session room. For Friday and Saturday sessions in the FFSC Lecture Hall, a console-mounted computer will be used and presenters will be asked to provide their presentation files in advance (preferably at the prenter meeting). For Saturday breakout sessions and the Sunday plenaries, presenters are to provide their own laptops and have a back-up of their presentation on a disk. If co-presenting, please coordinate PowerPoint slides in advance into a single PowerPoint.
- Handouts: Materials for sessions (hand-outs) need to be prepared in advance. We suggest providing a hand-out/note page(s) for PowerPoints, as this is a convenience for participants. For plenaries, please prepare handouts for 70 people; for breakouts, please prepare handouts for 25 people.
- Room set-up: To facilitate discussions and group activities, breakout session spaces will have participants seated at tables. The Friday and Saturday plenaries will be in an auditorium; Sunday plenaries will have table seating.
- Post event-materials: As follow-up to the event, PKAL will post session PowerPoints and other event resources on the PKAL website. At the event, these materials will be gathered onsite by the PKAL staff.
PARTICIPANT MATERIALS & CONSULTING ASSIGNMENTS
- Cluster Consulting & Individual Consultations
- Narum's Summary of Burning Questions
- Team Applications
PKAL PLANNING CORRESPONDENCE
- Opening Snapshot Session (draft)
Narum selections as of 9/29/09; The final snapshots will be organized/reviewed at hte presenter meeting.
- Breakout Session II-B: Formal Learning Spaces & Technology Strategies
Thomas Kearns & Carole Wedge, SBRA
- The PKAL Planning Process
- A Guide to Planning & Leading PKAL Events
- Outcomes from the 2009 Seminar on Renovating for Innovating
- Best Ideas from the 2009 Learning Spaces Workshop at University of Richmond
MATERIALS TO PREPARE FOR WORKSHOP
By Monday, October 5, send to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- One-page abstract for breakouts and/or plenaries; If co-facilitating a session, please coordinate with co-facilitators on developing one abstract.
- 3 - 5 jpeg or gif images to be considered for the opening plenary.
- 3 - 5 jpeg or gif images to be considered for the sustainability plenary.
- Resources suggestions to be posted on the workshop web site and/or included in the notebook.
- Session PowerPoints, These will be posted on this webpage for optional review by each of the facilitators to see what others are doing. Do not forget that all sessions are to model/practice what we preach: that engaged learning happens when learners are engaged. One of my PKAL leaders admonishes his faculty, “Just before you enter in your classroom, stop and ask yourself if you could do what you plan to do with no students in the room. If the answer is ‘yes,’ turn away and go back and regroup.”