- About PKAL
Pedagogies of Engagement
2008 PKAL Pedagogies of Engagement Summit
September 19 - 21, 2008
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Project Kaleidoscope had two major goals for the 2008 PKAL Pedagogies of Engagement Summit:
- To edit and refine What Works: Pedagogies of Engagement, A Handbook for Undergraduate STEM Educators. This volume is intended to be a print volume (available in hard copy and PDF format) parallel in structure to Project Kaleidoscope, Volume III, Structures for Science and will be designed to serve early adapters of curricular innovations, including faculty members, department chairs, campus leaders and deans.
- To plan for the next stage of our work on reform and to decide on the thrust of an NSF proposal to be submitted in January 2009.
To advance these goals, PKAL's project coordinating team was joined by pedagogical pioneers, who are leaders of various researched-based pedagogies whose development has been supported by NSF (and other agencies), and also by leaders from PKAL's formal collaborating partners:
- The Appalachian College Association (ACA) Consortium
- The Connecticut Conference of Independent Colleges (CCIC)
- The Minnesota State College and University System (MNSCU)
- Two PKAL networks – in the Atlanta region and in the Portland (OR) region
- In addition we are beginning to work with the Associated Colleges of the Midwest.