- About PKAL
Pedagogies of Engagement
PKAL/MnSCU Workshop: Building a Systemwide STEM Network
June 13 - 14, 2008
North Hennepin Community College
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
MnSCU’s STEM faculty include national leaders in every discipline, and many of them have conducted very successful experiments in instructional innovation. But everyone involved in such change knows that there are challenges: time, money, student motivation, administrative inertia, isolation among one’s peers. MnSCU schools gathered together again to address these issues; campus teams of 2 - 3 people were in attendance.
- What is a pedagogy of engagement?
- What is Cooperative Learning and Just-in-Time Teaching?
- How is the commitment of senior academic officers to PKAL Pedagogies of Engagement being manifested on 2- and 4-year campuses for 2008-09?
- What resources are needed for individual campuses to effect change both in the short-term (i.e., within 2008-09 academic year) and long-term?
- What is the best way for regional clusters of 2-year and 4-year campuses to communicate about local pedagogical expertise and activities that support advancing Pedagogies of Engagement?
- How is the Pedagogies of Engagement project progressing?
- Who are the project collaborators? An introduction to SERC, TLT & Flashlight?
- Linda Baer, Sr. Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs -Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
- Elizabeth Desy, Dean (ad interim) of College of Arts, Letters, & Sciences -Southwest Minnesota State University
- Andrew Gavrin, Associate Professor of Physics & Associate Dean, IUPUI School of Science-Indiana University– Purdue University at Indianapolis
- Louise Hainline, Dean for Research & Graduate Studies -CUNY - Brooklyn College
- Arif Hamid, Student Speaker
- Jeanne L. Narum, Director-Project Kaleidoscope
- Jean M. O’Connell, Director, Community Affairs-3M
- Karl A. Smith, Morse-Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Civil Engineering -University of Minnesota
- Mark A. Wallert, Professor of Biosciences-Minnesota State University Moorhead