- About PKAL
Promoting Pedagogical Approaches to Robust Learning in Undergraduate STEM Workshop
September 9 - 11, 2010
Mountain View College
To introduce participants to contemporary, research-based pedagogies that have documented success in strengthening student learning in STEM fields. Pedagogies to be featured include:
- Collaborative Problem-based Learning
- Just-in-Time Teaching (JiTT)
- Student Centered Active Learning Environments for Undergraduate Programs (SCALE-UP).
To have participants leave with a deep understanding of the positive impact of contemporary pedagogical approaches and with a draft plan to adapt, implement, and assess research-based pedagogical approaches on their home campus during the coming academic year.
To set the stage for continued collaborative efforts within the community of participants to make research-based pedagogical approaches a significant feature of the undergraduate STEM learning environment in the region.
- September 9: Opening Evening Reception; Formal welcoming activity
- September 10: Introductions & Overview—Research-based pedagogies Break-out Sessions: Exploring individual pedagogies Team-work with facilitators
- September 11: Considering next steps: Campus-based and Regionally.
- Per person Cost: $60.00 (Covers all meals and materials). Fees for Dallas County Community College District (DCCCD) participants will be waived as they are covered by the grant funded initiative.
- Workshop Registration is online
Deadline: August 18, 2010
- Housing: Local hotels to be recommended.
This workshop is the cumulation of a two-year College Cost Reduction Access Act grant from the U.S. Department of Education to Mountain View College supporting a wide range of activities designed to enhance success of MVC students studying in STEM fields. Facilitators for this workshop bring deep expertise and experience in exploring contemporary, research-based STEM pedagogies and in adapting them at the local and regional level.